Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter Region Psychologists
Our psychologists offer strategies that lead to healthy thinking and increased resilience to help clients manage life’s challenges, increase productivity and improve overall health.
ATUNE Health Centres provide psychology services for clients in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and the Hunter Region.
Psychology is the study of mental processes and behaviour. The term psychology comes from the Greek word psyche meaning "breath, spirit, soul, and mind" and the word logia meaning "study of". Psychology has it foundations in biology and philosophy and seeks to understand and explain thoughts, emotions, and behaviour.
A Psychologist is a health professional who has obtained a university degree in the study of Psychology and has completed other training to develop skills in working with people. Our Psychologists are registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency and are members of the Australian Psychological Society (APS).
To remain registered with these professional bodies, a Psychologist must continually complete a defined number of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points which are accumulated through continued education, skill development and other training that is deemed valuable to the Psychologist. The APS regulates and approves whether training meets the requirements for CPD points.
A Psychologist has been uniquely trained to excel in problem-solving. This expertise can be attributed to many things, but notably in their skill to assess issues from many perspectives. Some of these perspectives include medical, cognitive, biological, social, developmental, philosophical and relational. When a problem is examined from many perspectives, it allows the Psychologist to offer help that is thorough and applicable to the whole of the life.
Psychologists not only work with people who have health issues, but they also work with normal everyday people to assist them to achieve their goals and improve their quality of life. The Psychologist provides support and assistance by devising strategies that help people to deal with life and health issues. These strategies are "evidence-based" which means that they have been scientifically tested and shown to be effective.
On the first consultation, you will be invited to talk about the reason for your visit. Some people may feel a little uncomfortable talking to a new person about personal things. At ATUNE, we understand this and will provide a supportive environment for you.
On your first visit
- The Psychologist will conduct a thorough assessment of your current life situation, difficulties and any related factors and history. This is important to enable us to help you in the most effective and efficient way.
- An assessment usually involves you talking about the reason for your visit and sometimes the Psychologist may ask you some questions. In some instances, you may be invited to fill in a form. If so, the reason for this will be explained to you in an easily understandable way. All participation will be voluntary and you will have the opportunity to ask any questions that you may have.
- The assessment usually fills your first visit to the Psychologist.
On subsequent visits
- After the assessment, the Psychologist will devise a plan that best meets your needs and help you to achieve your goal.
- Subsequent sessions will focus on helping you achieve your treatment goals.
Contrary to popular belief you do not need to exhibit abnormal behaviour or be suffering from mental illness to visit a Psychologist. A Psychologist can make suggestions that benefit everyone to enjoy improved health and increased productivity. These include psychological consultation, intervention and assistance for people dealing with life and health issues, Life Coaching and Development Training for individuals, groups and corporations and so on.
What are life and health issues?
Everyone may grapple at times with past or present life issues or circumstances. The pace of daily living and the complexity of managing work/business, marriage, relationships, caring for children and so on can cause the development of unwanted behaviours or the desire to find better ways of managing things. We all face challenges in our daily life that may cause worry and negatively impact on our wellbeing. The Psychologist can offer coping strategies that lead to healthy thinking and increased resilience to manage these challenges and improve overall health. A few examples of the benefits of psychological consultation are listed below.
- Improved management of physical health-related issues
- Overcoming personal difficulties
- Increased positive thinking
- Management of anxiety and emotional issues
- Overcoming thought-related issues (mind racing, distressing thoughts, inability to concentrate, etc )
- Improvement in self-esteem
- Increased motivation
- Development in communication, relational, family and personal skills
- Progression through distress and changes in life and work circumstances
- Reduction in stress
- Grief and loss issues
- Increased understanding of your own behaviour
Life Coaching/Leadership Development
Much of our behaviour is unconscious and performed in response to our environment. These sessions are designed for those who wish to become more conscious and intentional about their behaviour and to develop skills to improve their job prospects, relationships, ability to manage the home or staff and elevate their position within an organisation, for example. This training is not just for those who wish to gain promotion within the workplace but is also for individuals who desire to develop personally and achieve change in their lives. We will assist you to realise your goals, set steps toward goal achievement and provide strategies to scale the barriers that prevent your progress.
The Psychologist can help you to gain the most out of your life.
No, you do not need a referral to visit a Psychologist. You can just call for an appointment at any time.
Many people can claim for the cost of a consultation with a Psychologist. There are several ways to claim for your visit as listed below:
- Medicare Benefits Scheme - People who have been referred to a Psychologist by their GP can claim a rebate for a visit under this scheme.
- Private Health Insurance - will provide a rebate for the cost of psychological consultations. This will depend on the type of coverage held.
- Employees Assistance Programs - may provide payment for psychological consultations. Please check with your employer for more details.
- Workers Compensation - will cover the costs for psychological consultation in some instances. Please consult your case worker for more details.
For your convenience, ATUNE provides an electronic facility so that you can claim your HICAPS and Medicare rebate at the time of your consultation.